Pageviews last month

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Should Parents Spy on Children?


As part of my morning routine, I listen to CNN news and watch when I can while preparing to leave for work. On this particular morning, CNN featured a story of a gentleman who has prepared a CD on how to spy on your children. He went into detail about possible hiding places for drugs and even small weapons. Hmmm? I thought. This looks more like a scene from a James Bond movie than someone in their teen's room. Has my children ever hidden drugs for themselves or others right under my nose and I didn't have a clue? Have they ever had a weapon for whatever the reason in their possession without me ever being the wiser? The possibility exist because of human nature alone and our desire at times to walk on the wild side. All I can really say is I really don't know and for that matter may never know unless I now ask the soon to be 17, 29, 25, 22 year old twins  have they ever done such a thing? Did I go through their things at times when they were not home? Yes I did. Did I ever find anything that was most disturbing? No I did not. Perhaps they were children who dared not cross me or perhaps they were better at hiding than I was at seeking. Perhaps they were children who tried as best they could to represent the values that I taught them. Perhaps they were just lucky and never got caught. Nonetheless, for the most part, while I did trust them, I felt it my responsibility to protect them from poor choices and decisions until such time they reached the age of legal accountability. From that point, I would simply keep praying for them daily. Should a parent spy? Never did I consider what I did spying. It was standard procedure and my children were well aware that the possibility existed at anytime. Sometimes they were even present for the shake down. Remember those Saturday mornings when we cleaned out every nook and cranny in the room?

2 comments:

  1. It is absolutely okay to "spy" on your children. I check book bags, books, cell phones,cell phone records, emails (I request any and all passwords), etc. I feel as though we have to closely monitor our children because of outside influences. Things have drastically changed from when I was a child. I had my little ways of getting over on my parents and I remember how easy it was. However, by many standards, I was a good kid. I'm of the opinion that so long as we monitor our children as respectful as we can, then it shouldn't pose a problem. Even if it does, I'm just doing my job.

    Fe Fe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe a parent should know what is going on with their children at all times and as well as in their home. (Just like a Pastor should know the condition of his flock)We should know what is coming in and out. If there is something there that should not be there, we are responsible. As for me, I don't care about what my child or others think, I am doing what I should be doing as a responsible parent. I do whatever I need to do with dignity and respect.

    ReplyDelete